Thursday, September 3, 2009

I finally did it!

I plucked up the courage to meet with the rabbi of the synagogue I've been attending for the past 5 months to talk about conversion. We talked about the long, slow process of disconnection that I've had with certain aspects of Christianity over the past few years, how I started getting interested in Judaism, how I see Torah and the Law fitting in with my everyday life, and my opinions on the roles assigned to men and women in Judaism (because boy, do I have opinions on gender equality!)

Conversion classes don't officially start until late winter/early spring, but I've got a great reading list to get started on and I've ordered the Torah and commentary that the rabbi recommended (which will quite conveniently arrive the week of Simchat Torah, so I can start from the beginning with everyone else).

I'm so relieved that this first official step is taken care of!

No comments: