Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Perspective

There are lots of differences in perspective between the US and Europe, but two in particular struck me today:

First, one of my friends was giving a speech in her interpretation class about the new Creation Museum. She said, "And 2/3 of the US population lives within a six-hour drive of the museum!" But the German and French interpreters translated that as, "It takes six whole hours for 2/3 of the US population to reach the museum!"

Then, I was watching the French weather report tonight. France has a color-coded warning system for severe weather. Rain rates as an orange... the second-highest level on the scale! That definitely cracks me up, as I grew up in Tornado Alley and my parents now live close enough to the Gulf Coast to hear all about hurricane season...

No comments: